Knee pain is a widespread condition, affecting everyone at some point in their lives.
Knees are the most intricate and largest joints in the entire body. Mostly due to their “hinge-like” nature, knees support a major part of our weight. For every kilo a body weighs, when exercising, parts of the knee have to support up to 7 times this. So, for example when walking your knees get 261% of your body weight, or when going upstairs 316% of body weight. So being overweight is a constant menace to the knees.
That’s why numerous consultations with the doctors regarding knee pain end up with a recommendation to lower weight. The catch 22 is that in order to lose weight, it is necessary to exercise and this is difficult when it hurts at each step.
There are several reasons why knee pain can occur. Some of the most common causes include tendon ruptures, damage to the meniscus, and dislocation. Medical conditions — including arthritis, gout and infections — also can cause knee pain.
Knee pain can greatly impact your life. Not only can it limit your mobility but also negatively impact your well-being.
Frequently knee pain is treated with anti-inflammatory medicines and analgesics; all with potentially adverse effects.
Fortunately, there’s a solution that does not involve medication and it’s risk-free for the knees. TENS machines can alleviate pain and after continuous use, eliminate it completely.
TENS Machines have been proven to be an effective drug-free treatment for knee pain(1),
TENS works by sending small electrical pulses through electrodes attached to the patient’s skin over the area that is in paid. These electrical pulses block the nerves that transmit pain and also cause the body to release endorphins (the bodies natural pain-killing hormones).
Here are the simple steps to using your TENS Machine for knee pain:
Make sure the machine is switched off;
Clean the skin;
4. Attach the TENS leads to the Gel Pads.
5. Turn on your TENS machine.
6. Choose an appropriate program. Most devices will have specific programs for knee pain. If not, try using Modulating TENS.
7. Begin the treatment by turning on the machine and increasing the intensity to a level which is comfortable but stimulation is felt;
8. Programs will normally run for 30 to 40 minutes and can be repeated as frequently as needed. It is suggested to use it for a minimum of two or three times a day.
There are many benefits of using a TENS machine. It is a very well-tolerated and without side effects. Also, electrical stimuli have been proven to make the pain more manageable and/or make it completely disappear over time.
For more information visit: https://www.tensmachinesaustralia.com.au/
Or call us for more information on 1300 361222
Check the precautions before using a TENS device and always consult with your doctor if pain persists.
(1) according to several studies, such as https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11034768/ and http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.460.540&rep=rep1&type=pdf